North Carolina Department of Justiceskip to main content
North Carolina Department of Justice
North Carolina Department of Justice
Submit this request

ITT Tech

Student Loan Relief for North Carolina ITT Students
In September 2016, national for-profit college chain ITT Educational Services, Inc. announced that it would shut down all of its campuses and online learning programs after the U.S. Department of Education called for additional oversight to address the college’s ongoing failure to meet accreditation standards.
The U.S. Department of Education is partnering with several groups to provide free advice to former ITT students through
If you attended ITT, you have two options for relief: apply to have your student loans forgiven, or transfer your credits to another school.
Loan forgiveness
Former ITT students may be eligible for a type of student loan forgiveness called closed-school federal student loan discharge. Here’s how it works:
  • This option is available to students attending ITT when it closed September 6, 2014 and students who withdrew from ITT on May 6, 2016 or after.
  • Your student loan debt may be forgiven and you can restart at another school.
  • For more information, see ITT Announcements from the U.S. Department of Education.
Transfer your credits to a new school
If you wish to complete your program, you can try to transfer your ITT credits to a different school.
  • You’ll need to get your student records and transcript from ITT. Find out how to obtain your transcript.
  • Contact your local North Carolina Community College to see if your ITT credits will transfer to a similar program. Community Colleges offer a range of degrees in fields similar to ITT but at a much lower cost.
  • Verify with the school you select in writing that your ITT credits will transfer. If your credits will not transfer, apply for loan forgiveness instead.
  • Keep in mind that if you decide to transfer your credits, you likely will not be able to have your ITT student loan debts forgiven.