Our values: Humility & Respect; Honesty; Integrity; Teamwork.
Type: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Patrol Captain
Location/Hours: Varied locations in Albemarle, NC/12 Hour Rotating Shifts
“WE NEED YOU TO ASSIST US IN MAKING OUR COMMUNITIES SAFE. WORKING TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE” Chief David Dulin
Performs a full range of general law enforcement duties in the patrol division. Work includes patrolling the City during a shift in a police car, on foot, by bicycle, or other appropriate means preventing, detecting and investigating disturbances and crime; investigating traffic accidents, helping victims, and performing traffic control work; apprehending suspects; testifying in court; and executing related assignments.
• Patrols streets in a police car, on foot, by bicycle or other appropriate means; checks doors and windows; examines premises of unoccupied residences or buildings; detects unusual conditions, may maintain surveillance and observation for stolen cars, missing persons, or suspects; reports dangerous or defective streets, sidewalks, traffic lights, or other hazardous conditions.
• Responds to calls for assistance, complaints, suspicious activity, domestic disputes, loud and disruptive behavior, and other needs; completes calls by determining the true nature of the situation and taking whatever legal or persuasive action is warranted.
• Investigates traffic accidents; issues traffic citations; directs traffic and participates in other emergency operation activities.
• Performs investigations of accidents and possible crimes through observation, questioning witnesses, and gathering physical evidence; performs investigative tasks; arrests and processes criminal suspects.
• Advises the public on laws and local ordinances; testifies in court; executes search warrants; serves papers as needed.
• Regulates and directs vehicular traffic at busy times or when traffic signal malfunctions or accidents require; maintains order at public gatherings.
• May be assigned to special School Resource Officer or Traffic division work.
• Operates two-way radio to receive instructions and information from or to report information to police headquarters.
• Prepares detailed records and reports of activities.
• Uses a variety of software programs to prepare incident reports, perform research, check driver’s licenses and vehicle registrations, check for outstanding warrants, and related research.
• Performs special projects as assigned by the department such as helping with background investigations of applicants, helping install or maintain the security of technology, and helping coordinate in-service training.
To apply for this job please visit www.albemarlenc.gov.