Website Hamlet Police Department
Primary Purpose of the Position
The purpose of this position is to manage the operations of the Investigation Division of the Hamlet Police Department in a manner ensuring sound professional management practices to develop, implement, and deliver efficient and effective law enforcement and public safety services for the City of Hamlet.
Change in Responsibilities or Organizational Relationship:
The Lieutenant will directly supervise one detective and one S.R.O. The lieutenant will report directly to the Captain.
Responsibilities and expectations: -Perform other administrative duties as assigned by the Chief of Police.
1. Assign Cases.
2. Prepare felony cases for the district attorney’s office and trial.
3. Direct and supervise detective division and S.R.O’S.
4. Oversee and manage custody of evidence and preparation of evidence to be transported to the state crime lab.
5. Oversee F.T.O program for the Hamlet Police Department, applications for the Hamlet Police Department, All vehicles owned and operated by the Hamlet Police Department and ensure training for Hamlet Police Department employees are adequate and up to date.
6. Plan and organize work and allocate necessary resources to achieve established objectives; focus initiative and action appropriately on priorities and objectives.
7. Perform duties and assignments with tenacious focus and determination; effectively use work hours; accept personal responsibility for work; demonstrate a “can-do” attitude; continuously strive to resolve issues aiming for successful outcomes.
8. Demonstrate consistent reliability for accomplishing tasks and performing duties within an expected time frame.
9. Inspire others with compelling vision; building trust through actions and creating a culture of ethical principles.
Division Supervision and Management Manage the administration and operations of the Criminal Investigation Division as well as other duties assigned by the Chief of Police.
1. Encourage and support the professional and personal development of staff by at least annual conversations regarding professional and personal development goals with each staff member and by jointly agreeing on an annual Career Development Plan for each employee.
2. Maintain a work environment that is marked by respect for others; that values inclusiveness and builds workforce diversity; and that fosters cooperation, teamwork, and innovation. Observe safety standards in the workplace. Monitor, report, and participate, as appropriate, in resolving potential safety and security issues.
3. Perform and assist with annual work plans in accordance with Department policies and procedures.
4. As appropriate, sets aside time to directly interact with division personnel to observe performance.
5. Ensure that work areas of the assigned division are maintained in an appropriate manner consistent with a professional law enforcement agency and health and safety regulations.
6. Encourage subordinate personnel in the area of problem-solving.
7. Provide employees with clear expectations regarding organizational values (i.e., behaviors and ways of working) and desired results; clear and honest performance feedback; suggestions for training and self-development; and timely evaluations. Use performance measures to monitor and continuously improve the services and operations of the assigned Division.
Education and Experience Required: High school diploma or equivalency and three years of law enforcement experience. Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer in accordance with the provisions of the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Commission or the ability to achieve certification within one year of employment.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of progressive supervisory/ managerial public safety experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Squad/Department Management Ability to establish performance standards. Ability to develop an inspection/monitoring system to check compliance.
Understanding of operational standards and ability to identify operational errors and recommend actions to correct.
Technical Knowledge: Ability to monitor preliminary and follow-up investigations for compliance with legal procedures and departmental policy. Ability to assess training needs for the effective operation of equipment. Knowledge and management of community policing efforts.
Communication Skills Ability to interpret new laws, ordinances, rules, and policies for staff and confirms understanding of the same. Ability to respond in a timely and appropriate manner to internal and external communications.
Organizational Awareness and Commitment Ability to formulate and implement a policy for division. Ability to identify measures and indicators of performance and identify actions needed to improve or correct performance relative to goals.
Problem Solving: Ability to analyze division operations through sampling, on-scene observation, and surveys and recommend changes.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org