Website Town of Nags Head
The Town of Nags Head is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer I
The ideal candidate(s) will perform the below duties which include, but are not limited to:
• Patrols high and low crime areas; talks to people in the community; checks security of buildings and residences; apprehends offenders
• Utilizes community policing and problem-solving methods
• Investigates traffic accidents; uses measurement devices and eye witness accounts to determine violators; assists motorists in filling out or exchanging insurance information
• Maintains readiness of police vehicle with fuel and air pressure
• Serves criminal papers; locates people under indictment; serves warrants, orders for arrest, and criminal summons
• Observes and follows people violating traffic laws, vehicle registrations and inspections laws, and other traffic offenses; enforces speed limits
• Conducts criminal investigations by gathering information, processing crime scenes, and interviewing witnesses
• Testifies in Court
• Transports arrested personnel to the correctional facility
• Provides field training and guidance in police work to less senior police officers
• Responds to domestic situations; attempts to resolve conflict by recommending solutions
• Performs other related law enforcement work as required
Graduation from high school; an Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice is preferred
Prior law enforcement experience is desired
Special Requirements – Police Officer I
• Valid North Carolina Drivers’ License
• Must have the Basic Law Enforcement Certification (BLET) as a law enforcement officer by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education & Training Standards Commission (required to be continuously employed); if not currently certified in North Carolina as a Police Officer, must have the ability to meet the lateral entry requirements as set forth by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Section 7(k) of the FLSA
Minimum Salary: $42,348 (salary commensurate with experience)
The Town of Nags Head is an equal opportunity employer; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit selfservice.nagsheadnc.gov.