The Wake County Sheriff’s Office is seeking both new and experienced Law Enforcement Officers. If you are not state BLET certified, we do provide training at our own Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy!
With a wide array of services, Wake County Government is at the heart of a rapidly growing and diverse area offering residents, employees and visitors exciting opportunities to live, work, grow and play. Wake County Government employs approximately 4200 employees and approximately 1000 are employed by the Sheriff’s Office. With over 850 square miles of area and over 1 million residents, Wake County Deputies are the primary law enforcement agency for those in the unincorporated areas of the County. Wake County Deputies also provide specialized services throughout the County such as Civil Process service, School Resource Officers, Criminal Investigations, Narcotics Enforcement, K-9 services and a Special Response Team for situations of a tactical nature. For more information about Wake County Government, visit www.wakegov.com and the Wake County Sheriff’s Office at www.wakegov.com/sheriff.
Deputy Sheriff Duties
A Wake County Deputy Sheriff is responsible for the general law enforcement services required by the Office of the Sheriff. These services include serving the public, keeping the peace as well as protecting the lives, rights and property of all those within the County of Wake. A Deputy Sheriff’s duties include providing security for the courts, transporting prisoners, answering calls from the public, investigating complaints and criminal activity, traffic enforcement, developing suspects, arresting perpetrators, serving civil and criminal process as well as other papers as required by the courts, and any other special assignments upon request. A Deputy Sheriff is expected to be of good moral character, possess sound judgment, make decisions in both normal and emergency situations and use discretion while carrying out the details of each task. The applicant must be willing to work 12-hour rotating shifts which includes holidays and weekends.
Examples of Work
- Provide security for the courts of the State of North Carolina
- Transport individuals to various state and local detention facilities across the state of North Carolina
- Serve both civil and criminal process as directed by the courts
- Patrol unincorporated areas within Wake County
- Enforce federal, state and local laws
- Assist other local, state and federal agencies in their law enforcement functions
- Investigate criminal activity
- Provide security at Wake County Public Schools as a certified School Resource Officer
- Performs special assignments or tasks as requested by the Wake County Sheriff
Deputy Sheriff Salary and Incentives
Salary for NC BLET certified deputy sheriff begins at $23.63 per hour (approximately $49,135 annually). Salary for Deputy Sheriff Cadet is $22.50 per hour until completion of the BLET Academy and certification is obtained.
Incentives are available for education (3%-6%), military experience (2%-3%), prior experience (2% per year up to 10 years) and fluency in any foreign language (4%).
Required Education and Experience
- BLET Certified (or must attend BLET upon hiring)
- At least 21 years old
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Possess or be able to possess a North Carolina driver’s license
- Have not been charged or convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor
- Be willing to relocate to not more than 10 miles outside of Wake County within 60 days from date of hire.
Candidates must undergo an extensive background investigation including, but not limited to, physical fitness assessment, reading test, medical exam, drug screen, CVSA, and psychological exam.
Must meet all the applicable standards with the North Carolina Sheriff’s Training and Standards Commission as well as the policies of the Wake County Sheriff’s Office. If you have any questions please contact the Wake County Sheriff’s Office Recruiting Division at (919) 856-6983.
To apply for this job please visit ewaketalent.csod.com.