Website Weldon Police Department
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Patrols streets in a police car, on foot, by bicycle or other appropriate means; checks doors and windows; examines premises of unoccupied residences or buildings; detects unusual conditions, may maintain surveillance and observation for stolen cars, missing persons, or suspects; reports dangerous or defective streets, sidewalks, traffic lights, or other hazardous conditions.
- Responds to calls for assistance, complaints, suspicious activity, domestic disputes, loud and disruptive behavior, and others needs; completes calls by determining true nature of the situation and taking whatever legal or persuasive action is warranted.
- Investigates traffic accidents; issues traffic citations; directs traffic and participates in other emergency operation activities.
- Performs investigations of accidents and possible crimes through observation, questioning witnesses, and gathering physical evidence; performs investigative tasks; arrests and processes criminal suspects.
- Advises the public on laws and local ordinances; testifies in court; executes search warrants; serves papers as needed.
- Regulates and directs vehicular traffic at busy times or when traffic signal malfunctions or accidents require; maintains order at public gatherings.
- Performs funeral and bank escorts.
- Operates a two-way radio to receive instructions and information from or to report information to police headquarters.
- Prepares detailed records and reports of activities.
- Uses a variety of software programs to prepare incident reports, perform research, check driver’s licenses and vehicle registrations, check for outstanding warrants and related research.
Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Must possess the visual acuity to operate a police vehicle and distinguish details and differences when observing people, places, or things on patrol.
- U.S. Citizen
- 21 years of age
- NC State certified police officer
- High School Diploma or GED
- No DWI conviction
- Good moral character
- Entry Level Officers starting salary $34,720 a year
- $20,000 life insurance policy paid by the Town
- Hospitalization coverage paid by the Town
- 401K plan
- NC retirement plan
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays
- Longevity pay
- Equipment furnished
- Individual assigned vehicle
To apply for this job please visit www.historicweldonnc.com.