Ombudsman to the Crime Lab
The Attorney General created the Office of the Ombudsman to assist with external and internal complaints concerning the North Carolina State Crime Laboratory; to resolve issues; and to recommend changes when appropriate.
The Role of the Ombudsman
The Ombudsman has the responsibility to address external and internal concerns regarding Crime Lab policies and procedures as well as actions by Crime Lab employees. These issues include systemic practices and the training of employees. Additionally, the Ombudsman assists the agency in voluntarily resolving complaints and mediating conflicts.
The Ombudsman provides the Attorney General with feedback on issues that surface and may recommend changes to Crime Lab operations and decisions.
Responsibilities of the Ombudsman
- Provide specific recommendations concerning Crime Lab policies, practices, and training.
- Assist the agency in resolving complaints and mediating conflicts
- Provide answers to public questions about processes and procedures at the Crime Lab
- Serve as a liaison and conflict mediator for all sectors of the legal field, including prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges
- Promote an environment conducive to raising and addressing sensitive employee concerns
- Plan meetings and conferences to improve relations among the Crime Lab, law enforcement and members of the justice system.
Limitations of the Ombudsman
- Cannot provide compensation for alleged grievances by the Crime Lab
- Cannot provide legal advice
- Cannot intervene with another law enforcement agency
- Does not have the authority to order an employee to be terminated
If you believe the Ombudsman may be able to assist you, please express your concern here.
All issues brought to the attention of Office of the Ombudsman will be explored in a confidential and informal manner. To provide confidentiality, complaints or issues raised by employees or citizens can be submitted anonymously. Written information is subject to the Public Records Act.
Reports of the Ombudsman
|2020.05.12 Response to the Ombudsman Report||612.96 KB||1036||01-06-2020||DownloadPreview|
|2020.05.01 Report of the Ombudsman||1.12 MB||1254||01-06-2020||DownloadPreview|
|2011.08.04 Report of the Ombudsman and Response||638.38 KB||1065||01-06-2020||DownloadPreview|