The North Carolina Department of Justice’s Public Protection Section works to educate the people of North Carolina about criminal justice and public safety issues, scams and frauds, and ways to prevent crime and protect yourself.
The Public Protection Section makes presentations on the topics listed below. Outreach speakers are available to deliver speeches, present information for educational credits, and participate in panels or conferences.
Cybersecurity & Data Breaches
Reports of hacking, corporate data breaches, and cybercrime are on the rise. These cyberissues affect millions of North Carolinians.
The cybersecurity and data breaches presentation includes:
- How to identify and address vulnerabilities in your personal data and online habits
- How to to add protections to keep your data safe
- What to do if your personal or financial data is stolen or you’re the victim of a cybercrime
Presentations, speeches, or events on this issue are for general public, businesses, or professional audiences.
Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault
Domestic violence and sexual assault are major public safety and public health issues in North Carolina.
These domestic violence presentation provides information on:
- Signs of potentially abusive relationships or violence
- Ways to support victim-survivors and find help
- How North Carolina state laws and policies work to get justice for survivors and hold offenders accountable
- Areas of needed policy reform to reduce violence and protect victims
Presentations, speeches, or events on this issue are for general public or professional audiences.
We live our lives connected to the internet, and while that is a benefit, it also carries major safety risks.
The internet safety presentation includes information on how to:
- Protect your personal and financial information online
- Manage your digital footprint
- Navigate social media and other gaming and mobile apps
- Identify how the internet is used to commit human trafficking crimes
Presentations, speeches, or events on this issue are for parents, teenagers, or educators.
Scams & Frauds
Scammers and con artists are always looking to take advantage of consumers.
The scams and frauds presentation includes information on how to:
- Identify prevalent scams and frauds
- Respond if you think you’ve been scammed
- Keep yourself and your information safe.
Presentations, speeches, or events on this issue are for the general public. Another version of this presentation is specifically for senior audiences and discusses scams that target the elderly.
The team can also speak on other public safety issues that are critical to protecting North Carolinians, including the Attorney General’s efforts to combat the opioid epidemic and support a fairer and more effective criminal justice system.