Skip Navigation
  • Robocall Hotline:(844)-8-NO-ROBO
  • All Other Complaints:(877)-5-NO-SCAM
  • Outside NC:919-716-6000
  • En Español:919-716-0058

Legal Services FAQ

Can the Attorney General’s Office give me personal legal advice or represent me in court?

The primary role of the Attorney General’s Office is to provide legal representation to the State of North Carolina, its agencies and state officials acting in their official capacities.

We are not authorized to advise or represent private citizens on personal legal matters. If you need help with a personal legal matter – such as filing a lawsuit, creating a will, or defending against a criminal charge – contact a private attorney.

How can I file a complaint against an attorney?

Grievances against lawyers who are licensed to practice law in North Carolina should be filed with the North Carolina State Bar. For additional information on filing a complaint, contact the NC State Bar or call the Bar at (919) 828-4620.