For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, March 1, 2022
Nazneen Ahmed (919) 716-0060
(RALEIGH) Attorney General Josh Stein today asked North Carolinians to apply for grants to fund efforts to improve and protect North Carolina’s environment and natural resources. The Environmental Enhancement Grant (EEG) program released its request for proposals today. Letters of intent are due on March 31 and completed proposals are due May 26.
“The Environmental Enhancement Grant program has invested more than $38 million in nearly 200 projects that protect our natural resources and improve North Carolinians’ quality of life,” said Attorney General Josh Stein. “These projects are critical to cleaning the air we breathe and the water we drink. Many also help address environmental issues that harm disadvantaged communities. If you’re working on an environmental project that could benefit our state and its people, please consider applying for these grants.”
The EEG program funds three-year grant projects of up to $500,000 from nonprofit organizations, including academic and government institutions, that improve air, water, and land quality in North Carolina. There is a preference for projects in or benefiting underserved or overburdened communities, such as those with vulnerable populations or environmental justice concerns. EEG funds have previously been used for projects including green jobs, wetland restoration, land acquisition, stormwater remediation, stream stabilization, and buffer installations.
The EEG program was established in 2000 with funds from a 25-year agreement between then-Attorney General Michael Easley and Smithfield Foods that provides $2 million annually for environmental projects across the state. Since the program began, the Office of Attorney General has awarded more than $38 million to nearly 200 projects.
More on the 2021 Environmental Enhancement Grant recipients:
- Attorney General Josh Stein Announces More Than $840,000 in Environmental Grants for Central North Carolina
- Attorney General Josh Stein Announces $162,000 Environmental Grant for Northeastern NC
- Attorney General Josh Stein Announces More Than $850,000 in 2021 Environmental Grants in Eastern NC
- Attorney General Josh Stein Announces More Than $425,000 in 2021 Environmental Grants for Southeastern NC
- Attorney General Josh Stein Announces $350,000 in 2021 Environmental Grants for Western NC
- Attorney General Josh Stein Announces $470,000 in 2021 Environmental Grants for Triad
- Attorney General Josh Stein Announces Nearly $50,000 in 2021 Environmental Grants for Charlotte