Skip Navigation
  • Robocall Hotline:(844)-8-NO-ROBO
  • All Other Complaints:(877)-5-NO-SCAM
  • Outside NC:919-716-6000
  • En Español:919-716-0058

File a Complaint

Before You File a Complaint

  • Read our consumer tips, which can help you avoid future problems.
  • Remember that our office can’t give you legal advice or provide legal representation to individual consumers.
  • Our office generally doesn’t get involved in matters that are scheduled or have already been heard in a court of law or closed by the agency with proper jurisdiction.
  • Know that documents you provide to us may be public record.

Complain Online

First, choose the consumer complaint form that fits your problem. Next, enter the information into the form and submit it electronically. You can attach up to four supporting documents. Please copy and mail any additional supporting documents along with a printed copy of your complaint.

What to Include

Providing supporting documents helps us respond to your complaint more quickly. Include legible copies of supporting documents such as:Please submit copies of your supporting documents, not originals.

Complain by Mail

We prefer that you file your complaint via our online form.  If you would like to file a complaint via hard copy, please call us on our consumer assistance line at (919) 716-6000, and we will mail you a complaint form.

Contact Us

  • Toll-free within North Carolina: 1-877-5-NO-SCAM
  • From outside North Carolina: (919) 716-6000
  • En Espanol: (919) 716-0058

What happens to my complaint?

After we review your complaint and supporting documents, we will likely forward them to the business complained about for response. You’ll receive copies of all correspondence. If the complaint falls within the jurisdiction of another local, state, or federal agency, we may refer your complaint to that agency.

We will work with you and the business to resolve your dispute. If we cannot find a resolution, we may suggest that you file an action in Small Claims Court or that you consult a private attorney.

When consumers’ complaints show a pattern of illegal business practices, we may take legal action to enforce the law on behalf of the public.

Even if we aren’t able to directly resolve your complaint, hearing from consumers like you helps us do our job. Consumer complaints help our office monitor questionable business practices, set priorities for enforcement efforts, and make recommendations for changes to the law.