The new federal rules also provide protections against abusive and deceptive telemarketing calls. For instance:
- Calls must be made between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.
- Telemarketers must immediately identify themselves.
- Telemarketers must disclose all terms about their offer and cannot lie to you.
- Telemarketers will be required to connect you to a sales representative two seconds after you answer the phone to eliminate annoying “dead air” calls
- Telemarketers must transmit their phone numbers and, if possible, their names through your caller ID service instead of disguising themselves so that you will know who is calling.
- Telemarketers must get your approval before charging your credit card.
Our office can help you deal with these violations. Give us as much detail about your complaint, a description of the efforts you’ve taken to resolve the complaint, the names and telephone numbers of the employees with whom you’ve spoken, copies of bills with disputed charges circled if appropriate, and the solution you are requesting.